Do you enjoy meeting and talking to people? Do you love Great Smoky Mountains National Park and have a wealth of knowledge you would like to share? Great Smoky Mountains Association (GSMA) has the position for you. We are looking for outgoing people to staff the information desk at Sugarlands Visitor Center. You would be working for GSMA in a supporting role to the National Park Service to orientate and help some of the 12 million visitors who pass through the doors every day.
Job Statement: The purpose of this position is to assist in providing information to Great Smoky Mountains National Park visitors and to answer any questions that visitors have about the park, park-related activities, and surrounding communities.
- Works closely with National Park Service and Great Smoky Mountains Association store staff and volunteers to accomplish the mission of informing and educating the public about Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Greets park visitors in a friendly and professional manner. Orients visitors to park themes, activities, and facilities.
- Provides accurate visitor information concerning the natural and cultural history of the park, recreational and educational opportunities, hiking trails and safety protocols, area attractions, directions, and locations of area accommodations. Information will be given in person, by telephone or by email. The ability to use a computer and telephone is required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Ability to work independently when required.
- Skilled in clear oral communication with NPS, volunteers, association store staff, and especially in dealing with the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully in written form when required.
- Ability to acquire and communicate accurate knowledge of the natural and cultural history of Great Smoky Mountains National Park and its significance.
- Ability to acquire and communicate accurate knowledge of communities surrounding Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Ability to work assigned schedule, which includes weekends and holidays, and may include some evenings.
- Ability to respond to telephone and email inquiries.
- Ability to stand for extended periods.
- Ability to hear and speak clearly.
- MINIMUM training and experience
- High school diploma or GED; supplemented by one (1) year previous experience and/or training involving retail sales, customer service, or clerical work; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. May require possession and maintenance of a valid driver’s license.
Type: Seasonal, 20-40 hours per week
Hiring Rate: $15/Hr
Hire Date: As needed
Deadline: Until position is filled, 4-5 spots available
How To ApplyDownload an application from our website at www.smokiesinformation.org or send your resume to email@example.com